Thursday, February 17, 2005

Turning 35. Am I middle-aged now?

This is my 35th birthday. If I eat too many greasy cheeseburgers and pizzas and only make it to age 70, then this will have been my "middle age." What a strange feeling.

Like everyone says, I don't feel any different than I did at 18 or 21 or 25 -- except that I'm a little calmer and my interests have migrated from entertainment (music, TV) to what I consider "real life" -- science, history, politics, family, religion. Of course, my body's not quite the same quality that it was when I was younger, but since I'm not a professional athlete, that hasn't bothered me.

Fortunately, I am at just about the spot in life that I expected I would be at this age. I have a wonderful wife, a nice house, a good job, and I've seen some interesting places around the world. Best of all, Charline and I will soon have a child, which I expect to radically change our lives, just as college, graduation, and marriage did.

The only thing that bugs me about getting older is the way that time speeds up. A summer used to last forever when I was young. That's another thing everyone says. To avoid any more cliches, I'll just wrap up this posting here.

No comments: